Neko programming

Hi,

I am very new here, and also new to this programming environment. One thing I do not understand is why programming directly in Neko is discouraged - it seems a simple enough language to work-with (though I have not tried it yet).

Neko is mostly just a dependency that’s in maintenance mode at this point and was officially deprecated on 2021-09-09. You absolutely can work with Neko directly if you wish, but just know that it is a dead end for new features unless you fork it yourself.

Hi!

Does anyone know where I can find some good Neko code examples? Seeing other folk’s code is the best way to learn.

Tom

I am curious—did you consider using Hashlink at all? That is the currently maintained virtual machine.

Hi,

Not to tell my life’s story or anything, but first of all I am using Linux, and some of the *BSDs, so I’m looking for something I can build on these platforms. For my own reasons, I am especially interested in very simple languages which can be easily learned and used by any variety of people, not strictly professional programmers - Neko and Lua are in that ball-park!

1 Like

I am especially interested in very simple languages which can be easily learned and used by any variety of people

Have you seen Wren? It might be what you’re looking for.

https://wren.io

Strange answer from the haxe community site! But sure, I’ll look at wren.

Thanks,
Tom