IntelliJ 2019

Hello,

I’m new to Haxe.
I have several years of experience with Flex/AIR.
I would like to try Haxe.
I have IntelliJ (latest 2019 version) but Haxe plugin does not show on markeplace (probably because it’ s incompatible with current version), so I tried the manual approach and I got the incompatible message.
There is a prediction to release a compatible plugin with IntelliJ 2019 or should I use another IDE ?

Hi Hugo,

Welcome to the Haxe community.

I am trying to get the IntelliJ IDEA 2019.x build out right now. It isn’t passing the smoke test at the moment (highlighting errors that it shouldn’t be), so I’m fixing that and we will have a build in the next few days. You can also get the 2018.x version of IDEA (https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/previous.html) and the currently released version of the Haxe plugin is compatible with that.

The other two popular Haxe IDE environments are vsCode with the vsHaxe plugin, and FlashDevelop. Each has their own strengths. The indie and hobbyist crowd tend to go with vsHaxe and/or FlashDevelop. The professional folks usually use IntelliJ.

BTW, if you are the type to want to build the plugin for yourself, the ‘develop’ branch is able to build and run with IntelliJ IDEA 2019.1.

-Eric

1 Like

Hi @ebishton,

Thank you and thank you very much for your reply !

I can wait.
I prefer wait and test on my IntelliJ IDEA 2019.x.
For my needs, I need a full IDE, so I prefer IntelliJ instead of vsCode (nothing against vsCode).
Also, I would like to stay way from the FlashDevelop and I already have IntelliJ Premium.

Thank you,
Hugo.

The indie and hobbyist crowd tend to go with vsHaxe and/or FlashDevelop. The professional folks usually use IntelliJ.

That’s a pretty misleading overgeneralization.

Honestly, I prefer not enter on IDE wars (I’m not saying that anyone said that, but easily can go that way !).
I use IntelliJ for several years now for Flex/AIR, before that was Flash Builder (many year ago).
I don’t want (and there is not good reason for) move from IntelliJ that is a full feature and fully supported IDE to another one.

My focus now is to evaluate Haxe with OpenFl to a possible migration of Flex/AIR to Haxe/OpenFl and that only it’s a huge task (if is even possible at all).

Many things to do: play around with Haxe/OpenFl (first steps), see the limits of controls, XML/HAXE instead of MXML/AS3, etc, etc …

Took longer than I expected, but a 2019 version is now available.

1 Like