COMMUNITY

Haxelib admin questions

(Ian Harrigan) #1

Hi All,

So i have a few questions wrt to managing haxelibs that im hoping someone here might be able to answer:

Firstly, id like to rename an existing haxelib, namely, haxeui to haxeui-legacy (and archive the GH repo as it seem to cause confusion - https://github.com/ianharrigan/haxeui - big warnings seem to have litte effect!)… I guess i could rename the the repo before archiving and then resubmit to haxelib with a new haxeui-legacy name, but i would still then need to know how i can delete a haxelib? So basically, how do i rename, or delete an existing haxelib.

Secondly, how can i reset a password for a haxelib user? I created a haxeui haxelib user a while back and the password was generated (so no way to remember it) and stored in a text file on my computer - then i had an SSD failure so ive lost that password. Whats the procedure for resetting it?

Cheers,
Ian

(Andy Li) #2

For lib removal, see https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxelib/issues/168. In short, we generally don’t do it.

For password reset, email me (andy@onthewings.net) the md5 hash of your new password, using the email address associated with your haxelib account.

1 Like
(Ian Harrigan) #3

Thanks Andy - email sent - no rush at all, thought it might take longer so figured id ask before i actually wanted to publish using haxeui user. :slight_smile:

As for the deletion, what about renaming? Or what is the general advice in situations like this (as i mentioned it causes confusion)… ideally, renaming it to haxeui-legacy would be the best course of action.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Ian

(Andy Li) #4

I guess for the case of haxeui, the notice is just not clear enough. At least for me, I didn’t find the notice because I expected it to be in the README, but it’s only located in the GitHub repo summary on the top.

To make it absolutely clear, you can commit a change that removes everything from the old GitHub repo, and the only remaining files are 1. a README with a single-line deprecation notice, and 2. a haxelib json with a version bump with the same deprecation notice. And publish this empty new version to haxelib.

It would allow people who used haxeui 1 to continue find it. They just have to pin to the previous working version. People can also find the old commits from the GitHub.

(Andy Li) #5

Here is one example of how homebrew did it: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science

(Marcelo Serpa) #6

Sorry for the intrusion, but I’d still gpg-encrypt it (with a strong password, passed via another secure channel, or public key) even if it’s hashed as md5 hashes are not inherently an encryption method, but maybe I’m too paranoid :slight_smile:

@ianharrigan I really recommend LastPass, I use it on all my devices (so, excellent cross-platform support!) and never ever lost or had to care about passwords anymore. It also generates strong passwords for you, painlessly. Excellent UX as well (improved a lot throughout the last year) and excellent value for the money.

3 Likes