Haxe IDE - which is better and good supported?

sublime text 3 and IDEA plugin has bugs

which is good and better support?

Hej,

I used to work with HaxeDevelop and switched recently to VSCode. I would recommend VSCode now.

Someone correct me if I’m off here, but my impression is that the wind is blowing in direction of VSCode in the community also - in the sense that the various haxe related extensions for VSCode are being actively developed. And and I don’t see as much discussion related to other IDEs

I know that doesn’t answers the question about which is the best IDE, but in the past I used Haxe/Flashdevelop, but for the last couple of years I have used VSCode, and never looked back.

As far as being well supported, that depends upon your definition. vsCode/vsHaxe, FlashDevelop, and IntelliJ IDEA all have projects that are under continuous development (none of them are “dead,” despite commentary otherwise). IDEA and FlashDevelop only have one to two people working on them. vsHaxe has three to four, so there is more development and faster turnaround on bugs there.

Many editors (sublime, VIM) have plugins that support Haxe to a varying extent. And, then there’s the (new) HIDE, which is being developed for use with Heaps.

Certainly, in the forum communities, vsCode has the mindshare now. The IntelliJ IDEA user base is skewed toward corporate developers. And HaxeDevelop/FlashDevelop has a following that has been around for a long time.

vsHaxe uses the compiler for most of its heavy lifting. IDEA and FlashDevelop, having both been developed before the compiler services were robust, have a large amount of code that duplicates the compiler’s work. But they also have services that cannot be provided by the compiler. There is a feature comparison chart (conspicuously missing vsHaxe) here: Comparison of IDE choices for Haxe programmers - Wikipedia

In the end, support for your IDE also comes down to you contributing - code, documentation, testing, financial backing - to the continued development of these projects. If you find bugs, get involved and fix them! Nobody charges users for these development environments, so, in a sense, you get what you pay for and the environments are only as good as those who contribute.

2 Likes

If you’re interested in a “flyweight IDE”, Geany supports Haxe.