Debugging hl target with VScode

Hello,

I’d like to debug hl target in VisualStudio Code.

VSCode: OSS build 1.30 (community repo)
HL : 1.8
Haxe: v4p5

I’ve made a project with complete configuration you can use to have the same environment than me.
It is here: GitHub - jeangit/debug_haxe_with_vscode

So, the build of the hxml works well, and if i launch the resulting hl, it’s running as expected.

The problem is for debugging:

I put a breakpoint (F9 key) in my source, then hit F5 for starting debug.
At this step, i get failed to connect to debug port .

But if i launch hl myself, with the debug port equal to the one defined in launch.js :

hl --debug 6118 --debug-wait test.hl

then pressing F5 in VScode will launch the program.
But in won’t stop on breakpoint, alas.
It seems that in fact VScode connects and launch, ignoring breakpoints.

What can i try, now ?

Thank you for reading.

Hello,

Even if nobody has the answer to the problem, i’m interested in the reproducibility of the issue.

Can someone with linux configuration tell me if he has the same problem ? If someone running Linux and VSCode can use the debugger, i’m of course interested in his setup.

Thank you.

I’m aware I’m late to the party. I recently had trouble building Haxe projects using the open source build of code (from official packages) of VSCode under EndeavourOS (Arch Linux). Incidentally, the Haxe Extension Pack wasn’t listed as an available extension for this version either.

I uninstalled that and instead installed the non-open-source binary from the AUR, which includes the Microsoft additions. The Haxe Extension Pack was available in this version and after adding a line to settings.json that points it to the haxe executable, my project built successfully.

{
    "telemetry.enableTelemetry": false,
    "telemetry.enableCrashReporter": false,
    "haxe.executable": "/usr/bin/haxe"
}

This may not have been the issue you had @jseb , but I say it here in case anyone else has the issue.