US$1000 Bounty OpenFL/Lime to play video in IOS and Android

webm software decoding is a bit troublesome in regards to performance. I tried that. Kha has the code to use Android’s and iOS’s native, hardware-accelerated video-decoding. Feel free to copy it and earn some money. For Android that also requires a special fragment shader adjustment.

1 Like

The bounty would make more sense if it was to add WebM to hxformat, and hxformat had approaches setup specific for android and ios, I am just not convinced that building a solution for only one toolkit is ideal?

Hi Nanjizal!

Thank you for your input. I am not very familiar with Webm and the solution that you presented. Does it play a video.mp4 file?

I was actually thinking about something more simple. Just pass the video location to an implementation or interface that uses the native player of iOS and Android, like OpenFL uses the HTML or Flash native player; and integrate that in Lime (as it was done with HTML and Flash players). What do you think?

Thanks!
Bruno

Hi Robert,

I appreciate that you have mentioned the Kha implementation of Android and iOS native video decoding. Please could you perhaps share a link of the code that you mentioned?

Thanks!
Bruno

Android is here: https://github.com/Kode/Kinc/blob/master/Backends/System/Android/Sources/Kore/Video.cpp
iOS (and also macOS) is here: https://github.com/Kode/Kinc/blob/master/Backends/System/Apple/Sources/Kore/Video.mm

Hi Robert,

That was very kind of you to share the Kha video implementation. Thank you very much!

I watched your presentation about cooperation of 2018, when you mentioned Kha and OpenFL. Very nice! Please could you share its status, and how to access/use it?

I am converting Flash/actionscript legacy code to Haxe (using openFL), and new projects with Kha could be interesting. I will check it out.

Thanks again!
Bruno

Hello Haxe Lovers!

The bounty is still on ($500) for Lime native video support for iOS and Android (as suggested by OpenFL’s creator, Joshua). In addition, Kha’s creator, Robert Konrad, was very kind to offer Kha’s implementation to “copy/adapt in Lime” and showed the code:

"Android is here: https://github.com/Kode/Kinc/blob/master/Backends/System/Android/Sources/Kore/Video.cpp

iOS (and also macOS) is here: https://github.com/Kode/Kinc/blob/master/Backends/System/Apple/Sources/Kore/Video.mm "

Please let us know if you are interested.

Thanks!
Bruno

Oh, I kind of gave up on cooperation. Still open to it but I don’t think the guy who only does those Haxe things in what little free time he has left next to his two full-time jobs is the right person to push that forward.
That said, the thing is at GitHub - Kode/openfl - it works with the exception of vector graphics but it sits on an old version of openfl because its internals have been changed around again shortly after. A test project which can be build like any other Kha project ist at GitHub - Kode/OpenFLTest
I recently started again on working on the missing vector graphics support, that’s happening at: GitHub - RobDangerous/nanovg: Antialiased 2D vector drawing library on top of Kha for UI and visualizations.

4 Likes

Hi Robert,
That’s good news on the vector graphics support. I hope that works out well.
Good luck!
Bruno

Hi Robert,

Got more contribution from other sources. The bounty now is $1000 to get native video support for iOS and Android in Lime. Would you like to do it and get the next generation SuperNintendo or whatever cool video platform is out there?

Please let me know if you would like to talk about it. My skype is brunok3 - or indicate another way to communicate directly if you prefer.

Thanks!
Bruno

Hm, I’m confused that nobody wants to tackle it, I thought I provided all the pieces. But if that’s the case and if it has time until late June (just finishing up something else right now) I’ll take care of it.

1 Like

Hi Robert,
That sounds good.
Thanks,
Bruno

Hi @RobDangerous !
I was wondering if you had working on it.
If it’s not the case, maybe I’ll try to do it. But I’m not such a good programmer and have far less experience than you , so I’ll try it if only you don’t have the time to do it and haven’t started yet :slight_smile:

Oh, actually got started on that last week and want to finish it before the end of the month (although not sure about that, still in CrossCode launch chaos). Sorry.

No worries :slight_smile:

How do I get hold of the test project’s dependencies?

Hi! Any news on this? :slight_smile:

No, somehow still busy doing various CrossCode things. If somebody wants to jump in before I get to it that’s now fine by me.

Hello! I know this is one year later, but if anybody is still interested, I made native video playback to work on both Android and iOS as a native Lime extension (iOS) / Lime template change (Android), using Haxe 4.1.5, OpenFL 9.1.0, Lime 7.9.0 and HXCPP 4.2.1. I could prepare a demo project on GitHub, if anybody still needs this. Videos are played in full screen, portrait or landscape, with no playback controls, except a “Skip” button in a corner. The .mp4 file is normally embedded into the APK/IPA (to avoid downloading times / issues), but could have a remote URL as well, if needed. There is support for a callback when finished or skipped, back into Haxe code.

3 Likes

It would be super cool to publish it on github. Thanks!