Trying to set up my Haxe build environment, I’m running into some problems (not helped by the fact that I don’t necessarily know what I’m doing in every step)…
Before I share what I’ve done, as well as what’s failing:
I am using Windows 10, I would prefer using this if possible.
Alternatively, I could install any Linux flavour in a VirtualBox instance, if that works better.
So, here goes…
Steps according to https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxe/blob/development/extra/BUILDING.md:
- Obtaining the source. git clone --recursive https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxe.git
No problems there.
- Setting up OCaml: On Windows, we recommend using the Cygwin/MinGW-based OPAM environment provided by fdopen, choose the 64-bit versions of everything.
No problems here.
- Installing dependencies: Windows (Cygwin): Run the Cygwin setup-x86_64.exe against the Cygwin installation directory
I run this, it comes up with:
- Choose A Download Source; the option selected by default is “Install from Local Directory”. Is this correct? I don’t know what it means…
Okay, I leave it as-is, click Next.
- Root Directory: C:\OCaml64; probably correct, as this is where OCaml is actually installed. Having said that: I don’t know how OCaml and CygWin interact.
- Install for: All Users.
Again I leave everything as-is, click Next.
- Local Package Directory: C:\Users(my user name)\AppData\Local\Temp\cygwin.
No idea. Correct? Probably, hopefully.
I leave as-is, click Next.
It does stuff, then comes up with CygWin Setup – Select Packages (a GUI).
When I change View to Full, there’s a substantial list of packages, and all are “Keep”. I take it this means they’re all installed?
But when I go through the list as mentioned on the Haxe page, not everything is there!
zlib-devel: NOT THERE. There is a zlib0. Is that it?
libpcre-devel: NOT THERE There is a libpcre1. Is that it?
mingw64-x86_64-zlib: NOT THERE, and there’s nothing that looks like it.
mingw64-x86_64-pcre: NOT THERE, and there’s nothing that looks like it.
path/to/cygwin/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/binto the checked out Haxe source directory.
NOPE: C:\OCaml64\usr\x86_64-w64-mingw32\sys-root\mingw\bin does NOT contain said DLLs…
Sooooo… Something’s not quite right.
Where to go from here?